You might feel overwhelmed with the decision of picking the right home health aide or agency. If you are hiring through a home care agency or by your own, screening applicants is an important part of the process of hiring the right one for your family. This guide gives ten questions that you should ask a home health aide or an agency during an initial interview.
Top ten questions to ask:
- Do you or your agency screen candidates to have a driver’s license and proper work documents?
- Are the home health aides certified? Do they have any CPR/BLS training?
- How does the agency train and monitor their caregivers?
- Does the agency or home health aide sign a contract to protect the clients’ rights?
- How many hours are required and will I receive a written care plan agreement?
- What duties can the home health aide or caregiver do to assist my loved one?
- Is the agency accredited?
- Do the home health aides have a positive attitude?
- How are the billing and expenses handled?
- How much does the aide charge per hour?
Along with the questions you want to ask, make sure to write down a list of scenarios. Scenarios can help you paint a better picture of how well the agency or the home health aide will be able to handle certain tasks.